TPTT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would I be wasting me time if.....

2 posters

Go down

Would I be wasting me time if..... Empty Would I be wasting me time if.....

Post by jquinn914 Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 am

I were to attempt to revamp the combat system (outcomes favoring mixes of units rather than the one unit domination currently in play, dynamic composition choices; i.e. pikes to counter cavalry-centric charges etc, possibly tactics that don't only rely on buffs) specifically for this mod. I'd love to make a contribution to the mod development, since this is the only way I play CK2 now. Feel free to shut me down.
jquinn914
jquinn914
Squire

Back to top Go down

Would I be wasting me time if..... Empty Re: Would I be wasting me time if.....

Post by idib816 Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 pm

It's actually one of my plans for the future, if you mean the combat tactics. I already put some events to affect battles as you might have noticed, but I think that a tactics overhaul would be greatly beneficial, so yeah if you want to start working on it, I support you.
idib816
idib816
Troubadour

Back to top Go down

Post by idib816 Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Oh and I almost forgot, I thought about a variable system in order to have the game check for martial prowess. Let me be more clear: there would be a hidden event for whenever a commander wins or loses a battle, something that gives him let's say a +1 for a victory in the variable "martial_prowess", and a -0.5 for a loss, making them different to account for martial experience accumulation. Now, when a tactic fires, you could check its likelyhood not only by martial stat and education, but also by checking values for this variable. I would say that probably such values should be checked in the order of 5 (so each mtth modifier would check lets say martial_prowess = 5, martial_prowess = 10 and so on). Now that would not only allow you to have a more realistic system, it could also shape all battle events, from charges to duels, so that more experienced and successful commanders don't die so easily, or are more successful on average (and the opposite happens for sucky ones).
idib816
idib816
Troubadour

Back to top Go down

Post by jquinn Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm

That's an awesome idea, I always thought it was funny how someone who dominated the battlefield for years could be outscored by some kid fresh out of the castle with a good martial score. I also like your duel event in battles but I think it would be even cooler if it were expanded to involve other trait factored events (like having a chance to kill a better fighter due to an option only available to tricksters).

Anyhow, yes tactics need a huge overhaul IMO and I've been brainstorming for a while now. Retinues really make a lot of things possible because now you can pick and choose your compositions at a whim, so weighting tactics towards mixed compositions should be a good start but the way they operate is also flawed, for example, Scottish pikes are best counter to the Mongol horse archers :S, how in hell is that logical.
Anonymous
jquinn

Back to top Go down

Post by idib816 Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm

There should probably be a degree of variation in tactics depending on culture and background, but yeah some stuff has to be revised.
idib816
idib816
Troubadour

Back to top Go down

Post by Naok Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Could it be possible to make that eventual bonus visible instead of hidden? After all, I can keep track of my player but not always of my vassals, so it would be nice to know who has been good for a long time in order to pick him as a suitable commander (after all, everyone knows who has won how many battles, so why the secrecy?)
Anonymous
Naok

Back to top Go down

Post by idib816 Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 pm

It can easily be done with a triggered modifier.
idib816
idib816
Troubadour

Back to top Go down

Post by jquinn914 Wed May 22, 2013 1:43 am

Six Gun South, developer of better armies, has both a pretty good combat tactics system in the current version and is working on a next release where even terrain is factored into tactics. He's also looking for help with event triggers etc, so I was thinking maybe if you helped him out with his event stuff, he could work on a version for the Prince and the Thane. Just an idea.
jquinn914
jquinn914
Squire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum